Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Race is On


One of my side projects for this bike trip has been to do some sailing.  As it is my other great passion in life, being away from it for so long is rough.  I miss it a lot.  Brittany and I are constantly pointing out the cool boats we see and wish were ours.

Other than pointing and looking, my side project has failed so far; I have not gone sailing at all.  Theres a few ways I am trying to remedy this.  One of them has been to check US Sailing's website for Instructor Courses; I am certified as a Level 1 Instructor but have been trying to find a Level 2 Coach course for some time, to no avail.

So last Thursday, in Bayou La Batre, AL, I checked the website and there it was, my Level 2.  In St. Petersburg, FL, no less!  So close, yet so far away.  549 miles away.  10 days.  The race is on.

Brittany agreed.  I don't know what she was thinking.  Perhaps she was banking on me bribing her with food and beer.  She was right.

So now we are in Perry, FL.  We've got about 200 miles left.  It looks like we'll make it, but the wind always does what it wants.  Grandpa Bill is waiting for us in Tampa.  We'll get there a day before St. Pete and drop some stuff and then continue down.  We'll tool around for the weekend then work clockwise around the Bay, hitting Clearwater, back to Grampa's to visit with the DeAngelo's and the Pribble's, then onto Tampa to see more family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment