Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Stuck in NOLA

So we've become a little stuck in New Orleans.  Not actually stuck.  We could leave whenever we wanted.  But, like a sandal in the warm, mid afternoon Bourbon street sludge, we are finding it difficult to pick up our feet and go.

We arrived over a week ago and have been slowly ingraining ourselves in the Big Easy.  My mother arrived with my brother for a visit, so we spent some family time with them.  This was also my perfect opportunity to eat up without breaking my trip budget.  With my mom's wallet as our weapon, plowed through meal after meal.

Everything was to my satisfaction.  We had etoufee from K-Pauls, the country's best Friend Chicken from Willie Mae's, more boudin and po-boys from at least 5 different shops (but save yourself some time and go straight to Verti Mart; get a fried shrimp sandwich, a to-go beer, then go take a nap).



We explored the historic French Quarter, the old New Orleans.  We spent a lot of time in the Marigny as well, very close to the quarter.  We found some friends from Vermont, too: it turns out NOLA is a hot spot for Burlingtonians escaping the cold of winter.  We also made some new friends.  Jared and Caleb took us to climbing night and Sasha let us stay in his Church-on-its-way-to-becoming-a-house.



I found it a little ironic, that after 5500 miles biking down Hwy 1, over mountains and Death Valleys, through the desert Southwest, the endless expanses of Texas, I sustained my first injury of the trip while walking in New Orleans.  We were going for a walk around the French Quarter and I tripped and fell out of my leg.  I am usually good about tucking my stump in so I don't land on it, but I wasn't quick enough this time.  I landed right on the tip and got a big honkin' bruise.  I couldn't really walk for a few days, but I am all better now.  I think I'm going to stick to bikes; this walking business is dangerous.


So our plan is to leave town today.  We think we'll be a few days through Mississippi and Alabama, with Florida on the horizon.  Because I know everybody is dying to send me granola bars and Snickers, I have for you another general delivery address:

Chris Childers
General Delivery
Panama City, FL 32401

We won't be there for at least a week and a half or so, so you have plenty of time to get yourself together.

Until next time, enjoy your cold, snowy winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment